Train, beer and scenery combine for a road trip on rails
In all of the United States, few regions can compare in awe-inspiring beauty with the natural scenery of the mountains and canyons of Sedona, Arizona. It’s as if the Creator took special time to paint carefully with the reds, browns, golds and rust of the Earth’s palette.
What better way to see the breathtaking views than aboard a train? And what better train to take than one on which Oktoberfest is being celebrated?
The final weekend of the Verde Canyon Railroad’s annual Ales on Rails event takes place Saturday and Sunday, October 30-31, departing from the old mining town of Clarkdale, Arizona, about 25 minutes from Sedona, and featuring tastings from at least a dozen craft and import breweries.
If you choose to ride through the red rock canyons on Saturday’s “Haunted Halloween Express,” expect spooky storytellers spinning spine-tingling tales, a costume contest, Halloween treats and more.
The journey begins on the station’s patio before the train departs (2:30 p.m. Saturday; 1 p.m Sunday) with live music, raffles and a feast of brats, pretzels and strudels. The revelry continues as the train takes a four-hour round trip to Perkinsville Ranch in Jerome, Arizona. You may recognize the ranch if you’re a movie buff; it’s where they filmed “How the West Was Won.”
The train features panoramic windows in its climate-controlled coaches, but be sure to bring your camera because you’ll want to snap photos from the open-air viewing cars as well
These are the breweries and beers that will be featured on the ride:
- Oak Creek Brewery (Sedona, Arizona) – Nut Brown, Pale Ale, and Amber
- Big Sky Brewery (Missoula Montana) – Moose Drool and Trout Slayer
- New Belgium, (Fort Collins, Colorado) – Hoptober
- Boulder Brewing (Boulder, Colorado) – Single Track Copper
- Ska Brewing (Durango, Colorado) – True Blonde
- Samuel Adams (Boston, Massachusetts) – Oktoberfest
- Spaten (Munich, Germany) – Oktoberfest
- Dundee (Rochester, New York) – Dogtoberfest
- Beck’s (St. Louis, Missouri) – Oktoberfest
- Warsteiner (Warstein, Germany) – Oktoberfest
- Sierra Blanca (Roswell, New Mexico) – Alien Amber
- Blue Moon/ Coors, Golden, CO- Harvest Moon Pumpkin
For more information, call 1-800-293-7245 or go to the website www.verdecanyonrr.com.