Philly Beer Week puts city’s best beer forward
Philly Beer Week kicks off Friday, June 4, and runs through June 13, with a mind-boggling number of beer-centric events scheduled: Nine separate beer festivals and upwards of 180 bars, restaurants, brewpubs and breweries putting on more than 865 events in and around Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
A highlight of the week will be the Forum of the Gods on Thursday, which will feature beer tasting and beer talk with some of the biggest names in brewing: Jim Koch of Boston Beer Co.; Phil Markowski from Southampton Publick House; Tom Kehoe of Yards Brewing; and Wendy Yuengling from D.G. Yuengling & Son. Philly Beer Week Executive Director Don “Joe Sixpack” Russell will moderate the forum. $25 per person; 3 p.m.; Johnny Brenda’s Upstairs; Frankford and Girard avenues.
Other major events scheduled include:
- Friday, June 4: Opening Tap: The kickoff to Philly Beer Week. Representatives from 31 area breweries will showcase their best offerings and beers made for Philly Beer Week. $40 per person; 7:30 p.m.; Independence Visitor Center, Sixth and Market streets.
- Saturday, June 5: Philadelphia Global Beer Expo: Featuring a host of great beers from around the world, the global beer expo brings the best of non-local beers to Philadelphia. $45 per person; Noon to 3 p.m. and 4:30 to 7:30 p.m.; Simeone Automotive Museum, 6825 Norwitch Drive.
- Saturday, June 5: International Great Beer Expo: An international beer tasting event highlighting 50-plus brewers and more than100 beers from such diverse countries as Belgium, Japan and the United States. $45 per person in advance; $60 per person at the door; 12:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. to 9 p.m.; Philadelphia Cruise Terminal at the Navy Yard; 5100 South Broad St.
- Saturday, June 5: German Bierfest: A family-friendly day of outdoor beer tasting with a host of German and German-style beers. $30 per person; Noon; German Society of Pennsylvania; 611 Spring Garden St.
- Sunday, June 6: Smoke ‘Em if Yous Got ‘Em: An indoor/outdoor beer-and-BBQ extravaganza hosted by Yards Brewing Company, with 30-plus smoked beers, food from 15 amateur barbecue chefs and catered goodies from Tommy Gunn’s and Percy Street Barbecue. The Jazz Horses and the Kevin Hanson Trio will provide musical entertainment. $50 per person; 1 p.m.; Yards Brewing Co.; 901 N. Delaware Ave.
- Friday, June 11: East vs. West Exotic Beer Tasting: A sampling event that pits East Coast and West Coast breweries against each other, with limited vintage aged brews and brewers’ favorites featured. Live music and hors d’oeuvres will round out the event. $60 per person; 7 p.m.; Stoudt’s Brewery; 2800 N. Reading Road, Adamstown, PA.
- Saturday, June 12: 20th Annual Michael Jackson Tutored Tasting: This year’s “Beer as Art”-themed tastings will be led by renowned expert Randy Mosher and will include a one-hour tutored tasting followed by open sessions with 50-plus beers. $50 per person; Noon to 3 p.m., 4 to 7 p.m., and 8 to 11 p.m.; HeadHouse restaurant; 122 Lombard St.
- Sunday, June 13: 2nd Annual Zythos America: Belgium’s greatest beer event comes to Philadelphia for the second year, with more than a dozen of that country’s top brewers scheduled to appear. $65 per person; Noon to 3 p.m. and 4 to 7 p.m.; Penn Museum; 3260 South St.
To buy tickets or for more information, go to www.phillybeerweek.org, where you can also find a complete list of events.