Beer and sunshine go well together
April is a great month to take a Florida road trip for beer – the weather is mild, neither rainy nor hurricane season has started, most of the winter snowbirds have flown back home and summer-vacationing kids are still in school. This is the time of the year I really love living in the state.
If you need more inspiration for a road trip, there are some pretty awesome beer events coming up this month in The Sunshine State.
The New Times BeerFest 2010 will be Saturday, April 17, from 7 to 11 p.m. in downtown Fort Lauderdale’s Esplanade Park. Organizers promise dozens of macro- and microbreweries on hand to offer samples and lots of food. The nearby Embassy Suites will serve as the festival’s official hotel and is offering discounted rooms and free shuttles to and from the festival. As it so happens, I may be in the area on other business. If so, I plan to attend and tweet live from my Twitter account.
General admission tickets are $25 in advance and $35 at the door. VIP tickets are $75 in advance and $85 at the door. The more-expensive ticket gives you access to a lounge on the second floor of the Museum of Discovery and Science, as well as a 5,000-square-foot balcony that overlooks Esplanade Park. VIP attendees will have access to more samples, air-conditioning, “indoor” restrooms and live music. Tickets are available here.
If I can’t make it to Fort Lauderdale, I will likely be at the third annual Great Orlando Beer Festival on Saturday in Altamonte Springs, near Orlando, from 4 to 8 p.m. An awesome lineup of breweries seems to back up the fest’s assertion that it will be “A Celebration of Craft Beer.” The event benefits the Friends of Fleet Peeples Park, which is an off-leash dog park in nearby Winter Park.
Tickets are $30 in advance and $40 the day of the fest, and are available here.
Some other Sunshine State beer events to note this month:
- Mr. Dunderbak’s in Daytona Beach will hold its monthly beer tasting on Friday, April 16, from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m.
- The Broken Barrel Tavern in Palm Bay will mark its first anniversary on Saturday, April 17, with a Customer Appreciation Day, featuring beer specials and giveaways.
- Avery Brewing Night will be Saturday, April 17, from 7 to 11 p.m. at the Mellow Mushroom in Brandon.
- Homebrew 101 will be Sunday, April 18, at 6 p.m. at Datz Deli in Tampa.
- Hopslam Cask! tapping will be Tuesday, April 20, at 4 p.m. at the Mellow Mushroom in Brandon.
- Travis Kruger from Dunedin Brewery http://www.dunedinbrewery.com/ will tap a cask of Wee Heavy Scottish Ale at Datz Deli in Tampa on Thursday April 22nd at 7pm.
- Total Wine & Beer – Beer Festival will be Saturday, April 24, in Jacksonville.
- A beer tasting with John Mediate from Duvel will be Tuesday, April 27, from 7 to 10 p.m. at The Lodge Bar & Grill in Boca Raton.
- A Sierra Nevada and Anchor Brewing Collaboration Celebration will be Friday, April 30, at Datz Deli in Tampa.
Note: If a Florida road trip for beer is not in your plans this month, be sure to check back every Wednesday on www.roadtripsforbeer.com for the weekly Wednesday Weekend Forecast, which highlights upcoming beer events across the U.S. and around the world. If you want your event included, please e-mail the info to firstname.lastname@example.org.